FORT LAUDERDALE -- A victim in the deadly Marjory Stoneman Douglas School shooting that left 17 dead and as many injured has filed the first lawsuit in the case.
Hero survivor Anthony Borges, who suffered five gunshot wounds while blocking a doorway in the path of alleged shooter Nicholas Cruz, filed suit, alleging assault and battery where he named Cruz as the primary defendant.
Also named as defendants are the estate of Cruz’s late mother, Lynda, and James and Kimberly Snead, the Parkland couple who housed Cruz in their home in the three months leading up to the Feb. 14 deadly and bloody rampage.
In addition, at least three local health centers where Cruz had previously been treated for mental health issues were also named as defendants.
“At all times, contrary to said assertion by James Snead, Nikolas Jacob Cruz had access to one or more of his guns while residing at the Sneads’ residence; and specifically, the AR-15 rifle that he subsequently used in committing the massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School,” Borges suit said.
Snead and all the other named defendants are accused of negligence.
According to the Sun-Sentinel, at a recent court proceeding it was revealed Cruz’s assets are estimated at $26,000.
Confined to a wheelchair at least for the foreseeable future, court documents reveal Borges' suit is seeks damages in excess of $15,000, exclusive of interest, costs and attorney fees. The suit also reserves the right to seek punitive damages and demands that the case be heard by a jury.
Borges’ suit also is expected to be the first of many in connection with the shooting. The Broward School Board and the Broward Sheriff’s Office could also ultimately be named as defendants.
Borges is represented by attorney Alex F. Arreaza of Arreaza Law Firm LLC in Wilton Manors.