CLEARWATER — A former tenant is suing Dunedin property owners, alleging negligence led to the plaintiff suffering ailments.
Megan Meola filed a complaint on April 26, in the Pinellas Circuit Court against the alleging that they failed to protect tenants from harm due to health and safety hazards.
According to the complaint, in late 2014 there was a water leak at Meloa's property as 761 W. Manor Drive, Dunedin, due to a broken pipe. The suit says although the leak was repaired the water-damaged wood under the kitchen sink was not. By August 2015, Meoloa says, she had developed an array of worsening symptoms due to mold exposure. These ailments included headaches, nausea and vomiting, skin rashes, heart palpitations, pain in her cervical and lumbar spine, lower abdominal pain, and chronic knee pain.
The lawsuit alleges Meola sustained property damage and related expenses, loss of income, and death of a beloved pet as a result of exposure to mold in on Meola's property.
The plaintiff alleges the defendants failed to comply with all applicable building, housing and health codes, failed to properly repair the water damage at the property, and rented out a property that was unfit for human habitation and dangerous to human life.
Meola seeks trial by jury ,damages in excess of $15,000, exclusive of interest, fees, and costs, and all other relief the court deems just. She is represented by attorneys Satyen Gandhi, W. Chase Carpenter and Cindy Cumberbatch of Carpenter Gandhi PLLC in Tampa.
Pinellas Circuit Court case number 18-CA-2649